Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliana63

Pulmonaria fanatics?

Juliana63
17 years ago

I confess -- I am a pulmonaria fanatic. I usually go for large, sun-loving plants, but low-growing lungworts have captured my fancy. Early, extended blooming followed by lush mounds of interesting foliage and a prolific, but tidy habit make these some of my favorite plants in the garden. I always introduce them to garden visitors -- who frankly, seem underwhelmed. They usually go for the bolder things like Artemisia 'Valerie Finnis' or Hosta 'Sum and Substance' planted nearby. I'm becoming convinced that it takes a sophisticated plant palate to appreciate these subtle gems.

Anyone else out there who loves lungworts? What are your favorites? And most importantly, do you have divisions to share in the SE MI, metro Detroit area?

P.S. Who is snatching up all the cultivars at the Matthaei Plant Sale?!

Comments (5)

• northerner_on
    17 years ago

I also am a Pulmonaria lover, if not a fanatic. They are always the first bloomers in my garden and I love the way the flowers change colour from blue to pink or vice versa, I never know which. Once they start blooming, I know I can look forward to enjoyig the outdoors. They are long bloomers and I agree with you, the foliage remains attractive. However, every year I have to discard a few - they tend to sow themselves in the grass.
    Northerner (Canada)

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

Count me in as a pulmonaria fan. If I see a new-to-me variety, I buy/ask/beg for it on the spot. Unfortunately, the nurseries in my area tend to have only 'Mrs. Moon'. (not to malign that one, it's a dandy!) But I am always on the lookout. I'm up to a whopping five varieties of them.....
    They are relatively trouble free, the foliage is interesting and they don't spread agressively. What's not to like?

• chezmoose
    17 years ago

I love 'em! I've got at least 7 or 8 varieties and feel the need to buy each new one I see. One of my favorites is Trevi Fountain. I just bought Cevensis (sp?) so can't wait to see that one in another year or two. I'm also really fond of Raspberry Splash.

• llbean
    17 years ago

I think I have 9-10 now and I love them as I live in a shady area.. What a way to brighten a dull spot.. Mine all had babies this spring so they are potting up as we speak, not sure if I can use them but I will find out..

• flowergazer
    17 years ago

Definate fanatic.Has anyone ever had theirs blume twice once inearly spring then again in the fall?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus