Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarakp

Looking for a border flower

barbarakp
16 years ago

Hello everyone. . . I'm new here. I'm working on replanting a large raised box at my parents' home. They made a lot of mistakes with perrenial no nos the first time around. They'd like to have some dwarf bushes in the back(read your great forum on that, so helpful!). In the front, I was thinking of a small purple flower I've seen in other raised boxes. It is low, spreads into itself and drapes over the front of the box just a bit. Makes a stunning display to the front of a raised box. Anyone know what this plant is, or can anyone suggest something similar that would work and not spread beyond its border?

Bed receives full sun, southern exposure. thank you!

Comments (5)

• entling
    16 years ago

I wonder if it is a trailing Campanula? They tend toward blue lavender more than purple, though. Is it a dark purple flower and what shape?

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

how long does it bloom?
    phlox subulata does that, bur you get about 2 weeks of massive bloom an then green the rest of the year.
    vinca has dark green glossy leaves and blooms intermittantly
    all the time.
    diggerb

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

I'm guessing creeping plox, too. Lovely stuff, but short bloom time. I found that it suffers in too much direct sun.

How big is the box? How high? I'm thinking you could tuck in some annual trailing stuff, like sweet potatoe vine, intended for hanging baskets and window boxes. These plants tend to like a lot of sun.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    16 years ago

Sounds like your describing an annual, my guess would be lobelia, you can buy the seeds any where, there purple and they trail, and bloom all summer.........mark

• Judy_B_ON
    16 years ago

There are a number of annuals that meet that description. The mini wave petunias may be the one you are looking for.

Check out a good garden centre. Often the hanging baskets for sale have suitable plants that are also for sale as bedding plants.