Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey_gw

Coleus question

wifey
17 years ago

I am wondering if there are any types of coleus that can handle full sun and yet still produce vibrant colour. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Comments (5)

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

sun coleus can take quite a bit of sun. recently hybridizers have produced supersun coleus. supposedly they want full sun to partial shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: supersuncoleus

• poppydog
    17 years ago

My local Nursery is carrying all of the following full sun to part shade varieties. They have them in full sun. I'm sure you can search for them in Google Images to see what they look like. I can provide their detailed info for specific plants if you want it.

Amazon
    Blonde Bombshell
    Candy Store
    Cantigny Royale
    Dark Star
    emerald Snow
    Florida Sunjade
    Garnet Robe
    Gay's Delight
    Glennis
    Illumination
    Kaleidoscope
    Kong Series
    Merlins Magic
    Pat Martin
    Peter's Wonder
    Raspberry Truffle
    Rose Explosion
    Rustic Orange
    Sparkler
    Stained Glassworks - Copper, Kiwi Fern and Tilt-A-Whirl
    The Flume
    Violet Tricolor
    Wine Country

• wifey
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the help, folks. Our local nursery is having a huge sale on coleus this weekend...we'll see what we can get our hands on!

And by the way, I'm reading a lot about the popularity of coleus making a comeback. Any thoughts? As a novice, I guess I have a child-like appreciation of the plant due to its showy colours. I had no idea that they had ever fallen out of favour or been thought of as "so last-century"!

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

'Black Dragon' is one I've had for years in almost all day sun. This is one of my favorites. I usually get ones that have a lot of dark red or purple in their leaves. I have most of mine where they get all morning sun plus sun until 2pm. As long as I mulch them and don't let them dry out, they do great. The only one that didn't do well in these conditions was one that had the word 'lava' in it. It has beautiful reddish leaves, but they faded bad with all that sun. Just looked washed out.
    I'm sure you'll find many that will do well with full sun. Good luck and enjoy!

Kat

• poppydog
    17 years ago

They never went out of favor with me, but I have always used them for color in shade. Now I think there are more varieties for sun!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor