Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus question

Posted by wifey 6a Canada (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 9:33

I am wondering if there are any types of coleus that can handle full sun and yet still produce vibrant colour. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus question

sun coleus can take quite a bit of sun. recently hybridizers have produced supersun coleus. supposedly they want full sun to partial shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: supersuncoleus

o

My local Nursery is carrying all of the following full sun to part shade varieties. They have them in full sun. I'm sure you can search for them in Google Images to see what they look like. I can provide their detailed info for specific plants if you want it.

Amazon
Blonde Bombshell
Candy Store
Cantigny Royale
Dark Star
emerald Snow
Florida Sunjade
Garnet Robe
Gay's Delight
Glennis
Illumination
Kaleidoscope
Kong Series
Merlins Magic
Pat Martin
Peter's Wonder
Raspberry Truffle
Rose Explosion
Rustic Orange
Sparkler
Stained Glassworks - Copper, Kiwi Fern and Tilt-A-Whirl
The Flume
Violet Tricolor
Wine Country

o

• Posted by wifey 6a Canada (My Page) on
    Sat, May 13, 06 at 7:44

Nice! Thanks for the help, folks. Our local nursery is having a huge sale on coleus this weekend...we'll see what we can get our hands on!

And by the way, I'm reading a lot about the popularity of coleus making a comeback. Any thoughts? As a novice, I guess I have a child-like appreciation of the plant due to its showy colours. I had no idea that they had ever fallen out of favour or been thought of as "so last-century"!

o

'Black Dragon' is one I've had for years in almost all day sun. This is one of my favorites. I usually get ones that have a lot of dark red or purple in their leaves. I have most of mine where they get all morning sun plus sun until 2pm. As long as I mulch them and don't let them dry out, they do great. The only one that didn't do well in these conditions was one that had the word 'lava' in it. It has beautiful reddish leaves, but they faded bad with all that sun. Just looked washed out.
I'm sure you'll find many that will do well with full sun. Good luck and enjoy!

Kat

o

They never went out of favor with me, but I have always used them for color in shade. Now I think there are more varieties for sun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here