Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewa2

Root system question

drewa2
16 years ago

Hello - immediately in front of my house and directly over the main sewer output pipe, there used to be a big Birch tree that came down in a storm before I bought the house. Now, my wife and I are considering planting a new tree there.. Due to its proximity to the house (probably only 10 feet away), and to the sewer output (about 6 or 7 feet above it) I am hoping to make a good decision that won't threaten the basement or the sewer output..

My wife really likes a Newport Flowering Plum that we saw.. I understand it doesn't grow to be too tall (12 to 15 ft) but I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether this would be an acceptable choice? Our other option was a Bloodgood Japanese Maple (a small variety of Japanese maple, growing to 15 ft as I understand it)..

If anyone out there has any useful information, I would be greatly appreciative. Just so you know, the sewer pipe was put in back in the 50s and is made of something called "Orangeberg" or something, which is some crazy material they used (briefly) back in the 50s made up of cardboard and tar (seriously!). It is definitely not PVC or lead or iron, etc..

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

• tink2
    16 years ago

Well, this isn't really the answer you were looking for, but I have paid the price in sewer backups because some one planted a paper birch about 20 feet away from my sewer pipe, and let me tell you, every 3 or 4 years, we have to pay to have it cleaned out. After, that is, cleaning up the basement where the drain backed up. We finally gave up and had it taken out. No problems since then. I wouldn't plant anything deeper than grass within 30' of it again! Plant the rest of the yard and let the dog or kids enjoy the grass out there.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor