Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykaywat

Straw Bale Gardening for veggies

amykaywat
17 years ago

I have decided to try gardening this year on straw bales. It will be my first vegetable garden on my own, and since we just bought the house last year, I would have had to build new raised beds or dig the whole garden on my own from scratch this year. With straw bales, I can skip all that and go straight to planting as soon as the bales have ripened. It's all an experiment so far, but I'll let you know how things go.

I also have beds in the ground for broccoli, asparagus, beets, carrots, Great Lakes head-lettuce, and Horseradish. The broccoli and lettuce were planted before I decided to try the straw bales.

On the bales, I've planted zucchini, yellow squash, peas, tomatos, bush beans, spinach, and leaf lettuce. I also will be planting several varieties of peppers as soon as some more bales ripen for them - I've started the pepper seeds indoors in peat pots so I don't have to wait for germination.

If everything goes extremely well, I should be harvesting by mid-to-late July!

Comments (2)

• zarine
    17 years ago

What do you mean by ripen? i've heard of straw bale planting, but don't know what you mean??

• amykaywat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I only meant that when the bales 'ripen,' they've rotted sufficiently to start giving up their nutrients to what's planted in them.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?