Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beccami

New construction - tree choices

beccami
10 years ago

Hi there,

So we have a 1.5 acre lot that I'd like to get some "big" trees growing in to give our house some character while we fill in other smaller landscaping pieces.

Here are some of the trees I'm thinking about (2 in front yard, maybe 3 or 4 on sides). What are your thoughts on these for SW Michigan?

Seedless KY Coffee Tree
Black Tupelo
White Oak
Tulip tree
American "Princeton" Elm

Any other ideas - ideally something lower maintance, not messy and a pretty faster grower (that is why ginko is not on the list).

Thanks all!

Comments (3)

• goren
    10 years ago

I wont comment on the choices you have made....but whatever tree you choose do some research into their maintenance.

I was recommended to put in a little leaf linden...a beauty of a tree...(remember the story of those trees in East Berlin...
    and the phrase "Unter der linden" became popular They were very popular....especially during the war....they burned wonderfully when the coal ran out.
    Well, the linden is the most dirty tree that I have ever had the misfortune to have in my backyard.
    It dropped twigs and branches I swear if you breathed on it.
    I was forever cleaning up under it.....and grass.....hah....forget about it.
    I cut lower branches....and still more lower branches....did everything I could think of to grow grass....
    I had the biggest mud area around.

So where you expect to want grass...think carefully how the tree's branches allow sunlight to come through the canopy.
    One bit of advice....contrary to what a Canadian might not think to give.....DON'T GROW MAPLE.

Your property can surely grow a large....or two...specimens.
    Side areas look great too and probably can grow another medium tree and still have lots of green left over.

Good luck in your search.....may all your problems be little ones.

• october17
    9 years ago

The tulip tree is a good choice. Were you able to get one?

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

The best thing to put under a tree is a layer of compost out to the drip line, covered by a layer of mulch.

The worst thing for a tree, is to plant grass under it.

I would plant something that will shade the house in summer, during the hottest part of the day. Then some evergreen pine or cedar blocking the northwest wind.