Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethmi

new planting in July

bethmi
16 years ago

I recently purchased a home (southeast Michigan) but will not move in until mid/late June, possibly early July. I am new to gardens, but I would like to plant flowers in the beds bordering the wooden fence surrounding the backyard. The soil seems decent, as does the drainage, and each bed gets abundant sunlight at some part of the day.

What are your suggestions for flowers/greenery that I could plant at that point in the season?

Comment (1)

• entling
    16 years ago

My suggestion is don't plant anything in the ground. Wait a year and observe the property. You never know what hidden gems you might find (e.g., autumn crocus). You also need to observe the sun/shade patterns throughout the year. An area is considered "full sun" if it gets at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. If you really feel the need to plant something, put it in a pot/planter. These can be grouped together around the yard/garden. To overwinter a perennial in a planter/pot, use something other than ceramic or terra cotta. Line the pot with bubble wrap and fill with a mix of 2/3 potting soil, 1/3 garden soil. Select plants 1 Zone hardier than yours (e.g. if you're Zone 5, select plants hardy to Zone 4). For the winter, the pots should be clustered together near the house or plunged in the soil in the garden.
    This first year is a good time to start a compost pile so you'll have compost when you're ready to plant next year.