Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael381

Keeping Jasmine through winter

michael381
14 years ago

I originally posted Nov 14 regarding how to keep Jasmine indoors over winter. It is now early May and the plant has lost about 80% of its leaves. I kept it in a cool place with indirect light all winter but it still looks like its dying. I fertilized it in mid April and just yesterday. Maybe warm sunlight will help it. I was just wondering if anyone else was successful or not with the same plant. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• rockman50
    14 years ago

Don't worry. It should come back. I have successfully grown a large one for 9 years. During winter, mine is in front of a bright sunny south facing patio door. It usually gets a bad case of spider mites by spring, with lots of leaf loss. A few weeks ago I moved it into full sun on the patio, pruned it heavily (sometimes to the point of removing all leaves), and then I keep it well fed and watered. It then springs back to life and is covered in fragrant flowers. This works for me every year.

• paul_
    14 years ago

First my disclaimer -- I've never grown one of these before. (I live in in an apt so space is at a premium ... one in which my orchids have 1st dibbs -- & because I understand they can be challenging indoors over winter.)

That said, yours should make it, Michael. You've succeeded in keeping it alive this long and warmer days are on the way. Just make sure it gets outside for fresh air and better light.

One cautionary note for future reference -- don't fertilize this time of year! You'll do more harm than good. Plants generally have NO use for fertilizer when they are NOT in active growth. Fertilizsing when not in active growth can lead to salt build up and kill what roots are present.

Also I assume you cut back drastically on the water over winter? If not, that would also be an issue. Btw, if your plant's pot sits in a non-attached saucer, once temps improve (probably more like June) make sure it sits out in a good rain/downpour. The rain water will flush out salts taht have built up due to fertilizing (and use of well water if that's the case).

As temps warm, put the plant outside during the day and bring back inside at night until temps are such that it can remain outside.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I bought a jasmine last year, and overwintered it in a west-facing living room window (I have no south-facing windows). The plant did well--it bloomed all winter. I don't know what type of jasmine it is, as there was no tag when I bought it. I hope that helps.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting