Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very depressing spring

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 11:06

Is anyone else thoroughly depressed with the weather this spring in Michigan? Even with row covers, the majority of the strawberries and asparagus are gone. This week I counted 12! strawberry blossom not killed but now they are predicting freezing night temps again this week. At this rate, fruit will not be in the freezer this year. I stopped by the fruit processors and was told the only tart cherries would be those from last year and that price is going to jump soon (I stocked up) Peaches are gone, apples are gone, it's a good thing I don't do gardening for financial reasons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very depressing spring

It is a challenging spring - we have a small orchard and have lost all our sweet and tart cherries, apricots and peaches. The hot March weather coaxed out the blooms way too early and the April night freezes wiped them out. I'm watching the apples, which are in bloom now. They look fairly good, but there may have been bud damage last month - we'll just have to watch. On the other hand, the mild winter left all my roses in wonderful condition!

o
RE: Very depressing spring

and i've been worried about our japanese maple...i thought dh had accidently sprayed it or something... according to him, the early leafing, then frost, has caused the leaf damage...guess the ladies at his office were talking about it...sure is ugly!

he said not to worry, the ladies had told him it will survive...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here