Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puzzlefan

Very depressing spring

puzzlefan
11 years ago

Is anyone else thoroughly depressed with the weather this spring in Michigan? Even with row covers, the majority of the strawberries and asparagus are gone. This week I counted 12! strawberry blossom not killed but now they are predicting freezing night temps again this week. At this rate, fruit will not be in the freezer this year. I stopped by the fruit processors and was told the only tart cherries would be those from last year and that price is going to jump soon (I stocked up) Peaches are gone, apples are gone, it's a good thing I don't do gardening for financial reasons.

Comments (2)

• karenforroses
    11 years ago

It is a challenging spring - we have a small orchard and have lost all our sweet and tart cherries, apricots and peaches. The hot March weather coaxed out the blooms way too early and the April night freezes wiped them out. I'm watching the apples, which are in bloom now. They look fairly good, but there may have been bud damage last month - we'll just have to watch. On the other hand, the mild winter left all my roses in wonderful condition!

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

and i've been worried about our japanese maple...i thought dh had accidently sprayed it or something... according to him, the early leafing, then frost, has caused the leaf damage...guess the ladies at his office were talking about it...sure is ugly!

he said not to worry, the ladies had told him it will survive...

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner