Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninam_gw

Starting Tithonia in doors

ninam
18 years ago

I posted this question on the Annuals Forum and got mostly answers telling me how easy they are to grow rather than suggestions (brag, brag, brag). However, I have tried to start them inside and although I do have about 10 healthy plants more died then I had hoped. I don't keep them wet and do use special soil for seeds. Has anyone had really good luck with starting these indoors?

Comments (2)

• Irmgaard
    18 years ago

I live in the middle of lower Mi and started them indoors with out too much trouble so I don't have a lot of wisdom, I just treated them like a sunflower... but, in the end I wasn't too impressed. They ended up kinda tall and bushy and the flowers were smaller and fewer than I hoped for. It would be interesting to know if a different climate would make a difference or maybe there are better varieties.

• CzechChick
    18 years ago

I have heard that quite a few people winter sow Sunflowers with great success. There is a Winter Sow forum on GW. You still have time to do a few outside now (Winter Sow Style)in a container for transplanting later. It may not bloom as soon as the ones started indoors, but if you do it now it will bloom. In any case, check out the link. The people there are really nice and love to help.

(WARNING: The forum is highly addictive)

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Winter Sow Forum