Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeski_gw

Is it going to frost before the 30th? Z5 Anyone gambling?

joeski
18 years ago

IÂve been burnt before. Frost burnt that is So I normally donÂt plant this early. (Flowers or veggies) I did put in some onions, and potatoes. So now I have the bug, and I want some predictions FarmerÂs almanac, old wives tales, complete guesses what do you think?

Comments (8)

• dkhartline
    18 years ago

I went ahead last weekend and took the gamble of planting my annuals in the front yard (south side). I just looked at the garden forcast on weather.com and it says there is no threat of frost in the next 10 days so let's hope I dont have to go outside and put cups over all my little plants!! Last year I didn't plant until the last week of May. I am pretty busy this year, so when I had the time to do it, I just went ahead and did it. If you do go ahead with it, just keep some large plastic cups and some rocks handy in case there is a threat of frost. You can just put a cup over the plant, & put a rock on top so the wind doesnt blow it away and take it off in the morning.

Good luck!

KT

• puzzlefan
    18 years ago

Of course they are predicting frost up here in NW MI for the week end. The strawberries are blossoming AARGH! Tomorrow I will pick up a couple more bales of hay to cover the plants with. My lettuce and spinach should survive low temps as I keep them covered with remay (rabbit defense) All remaining plants are carried outside everyday and brought in every night. I don't have a free square inch of counter space at night.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

Puzzlefan, I know how you feel about bringing in plants every day. I had to do that last year. Couldn't plant tender ones until the 2nd Sat. in June. That was unusal. We're having another cold spell right now, so nothing is going in until the week before Memorial Day. I can handle the cool days, but it's getting down in the upper 30's the next couple of nights.

Kat

• gardenmaker79
    18 years ago

We had frost just last Wen nite. I wanted to plant things so bad but I am also waiting tell next week or the fallowing week. I dont need them to all die off. I have the bug to want to plant but dont want to loose everything I put in the ground.

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

I'm gambling and starting to put out some 'maters this weekend. 10 day forecast doesn't show anything lower than 48 degrees or so.....but they have been wrong before! I think it is safe...I think it is safe...I think it..oh, well...Usually safe by this time of year, but no guarantee. Always keep some spare plants in the greenhouse just in case.

Duane

• karen_w
    18 years ago

I am PLANTING my nasturtium and morning glory seeds this weekend.
    I'm also planting out the dahlias I've been babying since I potted them up the beginning of March.
    I'm sick of all this "drag them out for daytime, drag them back in for night time" stuff.
    I look like hell at work all through May because I don't have time to move plants around AND do my makeup. Get up earlier? Not an option! K.

• jroot
    18 years ago

That's funny, Karen. LOL.

I'll give it another few nights and that will be it for me as well in Canada. Plant them and pray.

.... Oh, no! I just looked at the long range forecast for my area on the weather Channel. COLD night on June 1st. Oh, what to do ?

• FrogPJs
    18 years ago

This weather is horrid. I moved here from Oklahoma 6 years ago. Its not the winters I hate but these Cold springs. My re seeded morning glories are at one inch and I put annuals out this week. Longing for warmth here in the Big Woods of Northern Illinois!!!