Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debh_gw

deer resistent plants

debh
19 years ago

I have a round bed in my front yard that I woul like to plant some deer resistent flowers. I planted impatients last year and the deer ate them all. It gets arount 4-5 hours sun. Thanks

Comments (3)

• dustyroux
    19 years ago

I don't think there is such a thing, but you could try spraying the plants you do put in with garlic/pepper spray - 2 whole cloves of garlic to 1 quart water, a dash of tabasco and a whirl in the blender, then strain and spray on - it keeps rabbits away! There is another method, but difficult if you're in an urban area. Human urine works - if there's a male in the house, get him to water the flowers at night - if not -use a bucket!!!

• jugglerguy
    19 years ago

There are a lot of deer resistant plants. However, they vary by the area, the individual deer, and by how hungry the deer are. There are lots of lists available by doing a Google search. I have deer around my house and have had good luck with lots of plants. If the deer continually eat something, I just take it out so I don't draw them to the area.

As for the human urine thing, I don't think that's going to work. I bought coyote urine once and the deer ate plants right next to the bottles of it I had in the garden. I also hunt deer. Most deer hunters I know step outside their blind several times a day and make a urine deposit right there. It seems to me that that's the time I'm most likely to see a deer because it's a really inconvenient time to shoot it!

I do use some deer repellent sprays (both homemade and commercial) on some of my shrubs, but that's a losing battle. You're much better off planting stuff they don't prefer to eat in the first place.

• drcntyaah
    17 years ago

I know this is a bit late, but I just found your question. I find that these plants are deer resistant: fritillaria of any kind, echinacea, coreopsis, balloon flower and related shorter plants, shasta dasies, baby's breath, russian sage, euphorbium. These are all growing right down by the road across from a field deer inhabit in my sunny garden and I rarely have one of these plants eaten.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus