Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithb39

Peach Tree Recommendations

smithb39
17 years ago

I was thinking of buying a peach tree for my mother, I'm running out of ideas for flowers she doesn't have. Does anyone have any suggestions. From what I've been reading you can't go wrong with the RedHaven here in Michigan. Can anyone recommend a good nursery that have a good selection? Every summer I buy local peaches but never pay attention to the type and donÂt know the best for winter hardness.

Thanks,

Brent

Comments (3)

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

red havens are always good. patio peaches seem to do pretty well too, plus they're very small. i'll have to get out the orchard map to let you know what else we have growing. as for a nursery, where are you? i can recommend places in my area, but i'm not familiar with the rest of the state.

• smithb39
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I Work in Grand Rapids, live in Portland. Anything from Lansing to Grand Rapids would be ideal, any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brent

• chrismich250
    17 years ago

I got my Redhaven from Lowes. I also have Elberta. I'm near Ann Arbor MI, and have some problems--peach leaf curl-must spray before leaves bud, actually twice in late winter is best. Then the plum C.(insect) attack the fruit, making a gummy mess, so the advice in the fruit tree forum is to put the tiny fruit into zip lock bags with a hole in the bottom, and the fruit will be protected. I plant onions/garlic around the base of the tree to hopefully keep away borers. Trees usually surcome to something in about 15 years in MI.
    I also have a weeping peach from Stark Bros--looks wonderful with bright pink flowers--but the fruit is bitter and nasty. So if you buy a fruit tree for her-be prepared to spray it and bag it too.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County