Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerly_twixanddud

Good nurseries for perennials near the Chicago Botanic Garden?

If anyone has some suggestions for good perennial nurseries near the Chicago Botanic Garden, I would appreciate hearing about them. By 'good', I mean extensive selection, some unusual choices, etc. We'll be going to the CBG and Millienium Park again this year - Memorial Day weekend.

I searched through some old threads and I found 'Chalet Nursery' in Wilmette mentioned. Is this still a good nursery? Are there others?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• dirtdiver
    16 years ago

I haven't been there this year yet, but the Chalet tends to be a good nursery with a nice selection of perennials. If you're winding your way downtown via the Edens and/or Lake Shore Drive, Gethesemane Gardens (my spelling may be off) on Clark St., on Chicago's North Side, often has nice stuff too. I don't know what your expectations are for "unusual," but you'll typically find Terra Nova selections and things of that ilk along with some nice shade plants. I believe I've seen some collector-level hellebores at Gethsemane from time to time. Both are fairly expensive, sort of gourmet places. I've been less thrilled with the perennials at Jamaica Gardens, right off the Edens at Dempster (I-94, I think), but they have quite a selection of tropicals and other tender plants.

If you're staying further west, your options open up a bit more, but I don't get to visit any of those nurseries (Geimer's, Pesche's) often if at all.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    16 years ago

If you can head directly west about 20 min. from CBG, Knuppers in Palatine has a great selection of plants. I like them far better than I like Geimers. I do love Pesches in Des Plaines--fabulous selection. Gethsemane on N. Clark St. has a beautiful gift shop, but definitely is geared toward the city gardener & doesn't have the room to carry the selection of the two above-mentioned garden centers.

• entling
    16 years ago

Close to the Botanic Garden is Pasquesi's. They have beautiful garden accessories in addition to quality plants. They are a bit on the pricey side, though. I go to the 1 in Barrington as it is near me, but I would assume the Northbrook site it just as nice or better, as it is the original location. I've also heard good things about The Chalet. However, if you want to go to the best nurseries, I would recommend The Growing Place in Naperville & Aurora (definitely not close to CBG) with an incredible selection of plants and Planter's Palette in Winfield (about 30 min West of Chicago, near Cantigny, a garden/ WWI museum worth visiting).

• entling
    16 years ago

I just went to Pasquesi's and discovered that I was mistaken. Their original location is Lake Bluff, not Northbrook (same neck of the woods).

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions and information! I will look into these and try to hit as many as we can fit into our schedule. Have a great holiday weekend!

• melissa7777
    16 years ago

I am not sure what types of plants that you are looking for. I will tell you that I am in Highland park, Illinois, which is 5 minutes from Botanical Gardens.For the past 7 years I grow and sell U.S.D.A. organic,medicinal,culinary,rare,exotic,ornamental herb and mint plants from A to Z. I have a posting on Craiglist and direct matches. Here is only 50% of the plants I grow/sell:
    SPEARMINT,APPLE MINT,GRAPEFRUIT MINT,CHOCOLATE MINT, CURLY MINT,AUSTRIAN MINT,PEPPERMINT,CANDYMINT,NANA,PINEAPPLE MINT, ORANGE MINT, LEMON MINT,LIME MINT,HAIRY SPEARMINT,LEMON BALM,SAGE,OREGANO,ROSEMARY,CARDAOMON GINGER,LEMON GRASS,ROMAN CHAMOMILE,CINNAMON BASIL ,PEPPERMINT,CANDYMINT,NANA,PINEAPPLE MINT, ORANGE MINT, LEMON MINT,LIME MINT,HAIRY SPEARMINT,LEMON BALM,SAGE,OREGANO,ROSEMARY,CARDAOMON GINGER,LEMON GRASS,ROMAN CHAMOMILE,CINNAMON BASIL AND MORE.CORSICAN MINT,SPEARMINT,APPLE MINT,GRAPEFRUIT MINT,CHOCOLATE MINT, CURLY MINT,AUSTRIAN MINT,PEPPERMINT,CANDYMINT,NANA,PINEAPPLE MINT, ORANGE MINT, LEMON MINT,LIME MINT,HAIRY SPEARMINT,LEMON BALM,SAGE,OREGANO,ROSEMARY,CARDAOMON GINGER,LEMON GRASS,ROMAN CHAMOMILE,CINNAMON BASIL,CREEPY ROSEMARY,PROSTRATE ROSEMARY,CULINARY ROSEMARY,FRENCH TARRAGON,DWARF SANTUREJA ROSEMARY,FRENCH LAVENDER,ANISE,GERMAN CHAMOMILE,ECHINACEA,DILL,WHITE THYME,WHITE SAVORY,GREEK OREGANO,LEMON THYME,HOT&SPICY OREGANO,UPRIGHT GREEN THYME,FRENCH SERREL,CURY,TRI COLOR SAGE,GARLIC CHIVES,SWEET MARJORAM,LIME BALM,CARAWAY,STEVIA,CHARVIL,ENGLISH MINT,THAI BASIL,BURNET,HOREHOUND,LEMON BASIL,PINEAPPLE SAGE,GREEK OREGANO,BAY SWEET LAUREL LEAVES,LAVANDER(FRENCH&ENGLISH),LEMON VERBENA,LIME BASIL,LEMON SAGE,CILANTRO,SPANISH LAVANDER,STEVIA,CURRYE,BORAGE,WATERMINT,CORN MINT,YARROW,CALENDULA,ALOE VERA,PATUCHILI,JAPANESE MINT,INDIAN GINSENG,MOUNTAIN MINT,GOLDEANSEAL,CANCER BUSH,BLACK COHOSH,KAVA KAVA, STINGING NETTLE, WASABI,ZAATAR,GINGER,SAW PALMETTO,VIETNAMESE MINT,JAMICAN MINT,MINT THYME,SAFFRON,SASAFRASS,MARSHMALLOW MINT,BANANA MINT,SCOTCH MINT, VALERIAN,PEPPERMINT EUCALYPT,RED MINT,BERRIES AND CREAM MINT,SWISS MINT,WATER MINT,MINT BALM,TEA(CHA;CHAI), BAY LEAF TREE,,CORN MINT,YARROW,CALENDULA,ALOE VERA,PATUCHILI,JAPANESE MINT,INDIAN GINSENG,MOUNTAIN MINT,GOLDEANSEAL,CANCER BUSH,BLACK COHOSH,KAVA KAVA, STINGING NETTLE, WASABI,ZAATAR,GINGER,SAW PALMETTO,VIETNAMESE MINT,JAMICAN MINT,MINT THYME,SAFFRON,SASAFRASS and so much more. If I can help you or anyone on this site, even if you have questions please ask me, i would love to try to help you. My email is oceanmeli@hotmail.com
    Melissa

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm