Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who bought their annuals already?

Posted by rofl57 4 WI (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 16:30

I did - two weeks ago. I have them in my wagon, every morning I wheel them out, every evening I wheel them in. Every year I say I'm not going to do this, but I always do it anyway. 22 days until our last frost date.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who bought their annuals already?

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Fri, May 5, 06 at 6:27

I tried pretty hard to buy mine last weekend, but the places I went to either 1)didn't have too many in yet or 2)had the same old varieties that I see year in year out. I'm going to try new varieties this year...in hopes of finding ones that the rabbits steer clear of! I know....there's no such thing....fat chance....

o

Me. We're having a big party for my daughter tomorrow. She leaves for Peace Corps May 15 (which is our generally accepted "safe" date) and I wanted the yard/containers to look nice. Little dahlias, nonstop begonias, some gorgeous dark-purple-with-white-speckles streptocarpus, various and sundry container plants, all planted. Two caladiums, not planted. And it's supposed to be 32 Saturday night. It's OK, I have LOTS of covers.

o

Me too, but I had to put them all in the garage Friday night. Got down to the low 30s. Thankfully, I hadn't planted yet. Last night was pretty cold too, but I left them out and they seem ok.

o

I did. I even planted a few, and I panicked a little when I saw the Frost Advisories on Friday night. I brought in everything I hadn't already planted. All is well, though. It's just too hard to resist once they start putting them out at the nurseries!

o

I got mine last weekend - mostly for containers. I've already had to bring the containers in a couple of times. Now today we are having horrible winds and major rain, so I hope they survive!

o

Got mine from Blocks and then went to Schwartz. Everybody is outside on the patio, I'm just waiting for the rain to stop to plant them- well now have to wait for the soil to dry up a bit too. Good, it gives me some time to get the inside chores done.

o

I went to Block's also and bought around seven flats and a couple hanging baskets already. I started my containers, but haven't put anything in the ground yet. I keep my flats by my shed sheltered under my huge lilac. I have been checking Accuweather every couple days to keep an eye on the low temps. Next week looked a little scary with lows in the mid-30's.

o

Me too....can NEVER wait...I am worried about them at night and today the temps were in the 40's!!!!!. Is there a web site that tells me each plants cold hardiness?

o

I've only bought container annuals. Have left them out since May 6th!! Still doing good. (on covered porch) I have planted tons of perennials! In the rain and have transplanted bushes. Figured why not do it now since we are getting all this rain! LOL>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here