Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost got my tomatoes

Posted by chris_ml 5 Ann Arbor (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 16:37

Well, I was feeling good, so I planted my salvia, tomatoes and geraniums yesterday. They are all mush today. I'm hoping the geraniums will come back. I should have know better and waited 2 more weeks, shucks.
At least I can save the other 4 flats of plants, that I guess were protected with the absorbed heat from the concrete driveway where they sat all night. I've got to take them all into the garage somewhere, and pull in the house plants too. I am so ready for warm weather.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost got my tomatoes

Ohhh aren't we all. I didn't have time to pot up my sprouting Elephant Ears in the big pot. I'm happy about that now.
Whipped that puppy into the shed along with some other stuff.
Ah, Michigan.
Karen (Grand Rapids)

o

I'm about to stomp my feet and pout if things don't warm up. I need to get my cherry tomatoes up or I will positively explode.
This is a new garden for me and I am like a kid at Christmas. The soil is in super shape, the support is up, but the dreaded F-word keeps popping up in the forecast and I dare not get the plants into the ground.
Is this a really late spring or am I imagining things?

As an aside, I picked up an elephant ear, too. It's been potted up in the kitchen for the past three weeks and so far bears a striking resemblance to a coconut stuck in a bucket of loam. Do these things ever sprout?

C.

o

Elephant ears take a long time to form their root system before they sprout. Be patient. I think we're done with the F word now, so I'm going to plant accordingly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here