Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Definitely a chilly start, eh?

paul_
14 years ago

Surprised how strange the weather has been -- at least here in MI. Have had temps in the upper 70s and 80s F but then it drops to highs in the upper 50s and 60s. Presently, up at my folks' place in TC, temp is 54F. It was warmer this morning. Making it kinda hard to do a lot of planting as I worry about how the plants will do. Unfortunately, I am the only gardener in the family and I rather need to get my folks' yard taken care of now before I head down state.

Looks like there have been a number of casualties this winter. Most significant of which was their (15- 20 yrs old) 'burning bush'. Appears to be well and truly dead. Chatting with a gent at a nursery, he said my folks' weren't alone -- he had noted that there were an unsually large number of people this year who had that problem.

Comments (3)

• shadara
    14 years ago

Hi Paul.

My mom's burning bush survived quite well this past winter, but maybe that was because of such the thick snow cover we had during those bitter temps? We're in the Manistee area (about 1 hr south of TC).

And yes, everything is a bit late for us this year. Heck, they were talking about risk of frost again the other night. Glad it didn't hit.

My mom's lilac bush must have been hit by frost again this year, though. Second year since planting... foliage looks great, still no blooms (almost did last year).

My mom lost 80% of a hanging impatien bag and 100% of her palm and mandevilla she put out on her deck too soon due to frost 2 weeks ago.

I was always told, to avoid risk of frost plant no earlier than June 1st around here. But this year, seems the "risk" still lingers...

And as for the extreme variables in temps... THAT'S MICHIGAN FOR YA! :p

• wayner2000
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,

I live in Southern Ontario and have a huge burning bush of a tree. It survives the harshest of winters with no problems whatsoever.

Wayne

• paul_
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The one at my folks' place, as I mentioned, had survived for years too. Until this last winter. And in TC they tend to get a lot of snow cover. *shrug*

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!