Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drakens

poison ivy in strawberries

Drakens
13 years ago

My strawberries are doing REALLY well this year. So well in fact that I only just noticed there is something strange growing in there along with them. A neighbor said it looks like poison ivy. I know there is a spray that destroys poison ivy, but does it kill anything else or does it specifically kill the poison ivy? If it does kill everything, is there any other way I can get rid of the stuff without damaging the strawberries?

Comments (2)

• laulij67
    13 years ago

The spray for poison ivy would probably kill anything with leaves on it.

Are you sure that it is poison ivy? I live in a wooded area and have a lot of poison ivy, but have yet to find it growing in an open area.

When the leaves first emerge in the spring they are bright red.

• Audrey
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, it grows in the open. It usually starts in shade but will put runners into adjacent areas. On the thread "the weed that can't be killed", Bug Girl WI says:

"an alternative to spraying round-up is the Hand of Death. Put two nitrile gloves on. dunk your hand in a bucket of round up. Grab the plant, and say thrice: "I smite thee with the hand of death!"
    Works everytime."

Or you could use a paintbrush to put it on the unwanted leaves without damaging the strawberries.