Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

What critter did I see in the garden?

Nancy in Mich
18 years ago

Okay folks, help me figure this out, please! I have garden beds in front of the house that are formed by three layers of stacked broken concrete - old sidewalks. I was out there today planting the last of the sorry-looking annuals that I started by seed indoors and grew under lights. Out of the corner of my eye I see movement, and as I turn my head, I see the tail-end of something black and furry disappearing between the concrete blocks.

My first guess is that the part I saw was 6 inches long and an inch in diameter. It may have been half that size. It was curving, clinging to the block as it came out of one hole and into another.

I am now all wierded out! What was that? Centipedes and millipedes are not furry. My skin is crawling and I just gotta know what this critter could be. Any guesses? There are the remains of tulip and daffodil bulbs above where it was, and the hostas are taking over the area quite well. The critter was between the top and second layer of blocks, so may be a burrowing critter or one that lives in the ltter. I have old cocoa hull mulch and cypress mulch in that bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden bed

Comments (12)

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Scary when that happens, huh? Happened to me a couple times, and I got weirded out to see something with a head and breathing come out of the ground! My guess is that they're voles. Looks like a small black mouse.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    18 years ago

anitamo, you may be right! That also could explain the two very cute rodent babies that I found sitting just inside the garage doors last Sunday when I opened them up. Cute ittle guys with round ears, about an inch big, not moving. I was abe to go behind them and get a pot and place it over them. Once inside a plastic carry-out container, they were moving. They had suffered orthopedic injuries in the act of sliding the dustpan under their pot, so they were not going to live long, anyway. I knew they were not just mice, they looked too cute. I grew up chasing gray field mice in the country with our dogs, and they did not have round ears.

I'll set some flower pots upside down in the garden with apple under them and see if I get any takers. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? I have IDed and found the way to elliminate them in ony a few hours! Since they may be the ones eating the bark off the Silver Maple they are under, they gotta go.

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Scary when that happens, huh? Happened to me a couple times, and I got weirded out to see something with a head and breathing come out of the ground! My guess is that they're voles. Looks like a small black mouse.

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Oops, sorry about that double post. I walked away from the computer for a while, and forget that I had already sent it when I returned.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Most voles are dark but that wasn't the first thing that came to mind when I read your post simply because the ears aren't that prominant and that's something you noticed right away about them.

I don't know what you have there but here is a link to info about voles:
    Voles

Here's a good photo too:
    {{gwi:865171}}

(the ears are indeed round but they don't really stick out as a prominant feature. The tail is not mouse-like.)

Barb
    (the ears are indeed round but they don't really stick out as a prominant feature)

• brugs_bunny
    18 years ago

So how do you get rid of them because I have many. One keeps eating through my clamtis stems.

Thanks.

• jugglerguy
    18 years ago

There is a poison you can buy. The guy at the garden center told me to put it inside a piece of pipe so that birds wouldn't get it instead of the voles. They always leave little trails around my yard during the winter. I don't mind that, but i had heard that they eat the bark off of shrubs. This spring I found a $200 maple that's about 2 inches in diameter girdled by the little rascals. It's leafed out, but I've been told that it might still die.

Voles are bad. Bad voles.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    18 years ago

According to two articles I read, the way to get rid of voles is to put slices of apple under upside-down clay pots. If you find apple pieces with little teeth marks, you've got voles. Then get the old-fashioned spring-loaded traps and put apples on them under the pots. Do not spring the traps for a number of days, then load them and catch the critters once you have gotten their confidence.

The poison in a covered area is good, too.

Barb, I saw no tail or ears on the furry critter going between the garden blocks. It did not seem rodent-shaped, but I only got a glimpse. I guess if mice can go through a dime-sized hole, it must be possible for them to get long and skinny, so maybe it was a vole. It was furry and seemed very black. A giant furry caterpillar seemed the best description, but it was FAST, like a centipede. The mousy part came in when I saw the little babies earlier in the week in the garage. They were way cute and had round ears. Since I have not been able to find a photo of baby voles, I cannot know for sure. I guessed that maybe ears may be more pronounced in rodent infants, as they are in puppies.

Any ideas on the insect end of things?

By the way, Barb, that is the best picture I have seen of a vole. Is it yours? I searched the net and found nothing that good.

• jugglerguy
    18 years ago

It wasn't a weasel was it? Weasels are long and skinny. They probably eat voles.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

LOL... no that's not my vole.

I 'do' breed Campbell's Russian Dwarf Hamsters though...they are about the same size and don't wreck 200.00 trees *wink wink*.

Barb
    Here's my hamstery (below):
    Potter's Woods Hamstery, S/W Ontario
    http://www.geocities.com/knottyceltic/hams.html

• andrealempges
    7 years ago

Voles aren't bad. Stupid people. As to clematis, just put a ring of tin foil around the base when it comes up in the spring. Worked for me. I named my vole Ace, keeps me company when I'm gardening.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, I barely remember this conversation, it was 11 years ago! We had dial-up at the time, I think. Glad you are enjoying your wildlife, but calling people who were searching the internet for information stupid, is not helpful.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES