Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Moving to Keweenaw Penninsula - Anyone from there?

jel48
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a long time GW'r and am moving from Rochester, MN to the Keweenaw Peninsula, in the Michigan UP, in less than a month. Is anyone from the area on this forum? I understand it's zone 4, just like where I'm at here, and that the average snowfall is over 16 foot a year (about 187") and that the average winter low is above zero. Can anyone confirm all of that for me? I noticed a lot of protective fences around and over shrubs, I'm guessing to help keep the weight of the snow from crushing them. Can you tell me about other special challenges I'll face when I garden there? I'm bringing a lot of plants from my MN garden, Iris, Hosta, Peony, and many others. Will they do well in their new spot?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• theyardman
    15 years ago

I live in SE Mich about 2.5 zones warmer than the Keweenaw. However, my sister and her husband lived near Michigan Tech for 3 years and we visited lots. It seems than all of your Iris, hosta, and peonies will do just fine. I even saw native cactii growing while hiking along some peaks up north of Hancock last summer. I believe they were cholla and I've seen prickly pear along Lake Michigan.

Good luck, you are a brave soul, but the beauty sure does abound in those areas. Enjoy!

• dg_rock
    15 years ago

I spent a few years up there my self. If your into carnivorous plants you should check out Isle Royal some time. I have see pitcher plants in bloom there. Enjoy your move it's truly beautiful there.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations