Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfriday_gw

Any mushroom compost near Chicago?

nfriday
9 years ago

Hi- I live in Evanston, and I have a garden in one of the community gardens here. I usually buy some bags of mushroom compost wherever I can get it the cheapest. Are there any places in the Chicago area where I can get the real stuff though? I've heard there is supposed to be a mushroom farm somewhere near Rolling Meadows, and I believe off of Oakton. I was told years ago that they charged $1 a bag, and you furnished the bag. Does anybody know where that place is? Does anybody in the Chicago area know of any other sources for real mushroom compost. I know the stuff they sell in most of the garden centers such as Home Depot is not the real stuff, and has lots of other stuff mixed in with it.. Is some of the bagged mushroom compost better than the stuff you get at the big box stores? Does anybody know of a good place near Evanston to get vermiculite for not a ton of money too? The city of Evanston used to supply us with free leaf mulch, but they ended the program at least five years ago, because they got too many complaints from people that lived near the site where they composted it. I really miss it. Thanks for all your help, Nancy

Comments (3)

• two25acres
    9 years ago

Sorry you got no responses. I can offer you a place but it's not in the Chicagoland area. If you ever feel like taking a drive to SE Wisconsin - the Lake Geneva area you will find River Valley Ranch. That's were we get ours.

• october17
    9 years ago

There used to be a place way out south. Chicago Heights or Oak Forest. On Rte. 6. Not sure if it's still there. We went there years ago and, while it wasn't free, it was real cheap.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

Are you really set on mushroom compost and no other compost or fertilizer?

If you are interested in compost other than mushroom, there is free compost, mulch and horse manure in Palatine.

There is also free horse manure in Morton Grove at the horse stable in the forest preserve on Golf & Central. If you are interested, I can give you directions to the compost in Palatine. Please let me know.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz