18 years ago

Seems to me that it might have been

{{gwi:865362}}
Near the top, looks a bit like scorched areas

{{gwi:865365}}

Comments (4)

• anitamo
    18 years ago

Maybe the lightening (if in fact it was lightening) caused the trilliums, mentioned in your other post, to change colors?
    I'm just kidding, but wouldn't that be something if it were true?

• andycdn
    18 years ago

Lightning struck a 50-ft white pine at our cottage last year and killed it, alas. The damage looks much like your photo.

Apparently the electricity runs down the trunk to the earth and, in so doing, super-heats the water, sap, pine resin inside and causes the tree to explode from the inside out. We had debris scattered for 20 ft. The tree didn't fall, but it's completely dead and we will have to take it out. *sigh* It was my favourite tree to climb when I was a little boy -- the branches were like a ladder and I could stand near the top and sway gently in the wind, loving the view for miles around.

• magpie33
    18 years ago

Keep an eye on the base area over time -- Morel mushrooms *LOVE* scorched, woody areas -- you might just get lucky and be blessed with an unexpected crop (or you could order spores & try to start one yourself...)!

• paul_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah, I feel your pain andy. It's sad when an old tree gets struck down.

REally mag? Well that does give me something to check out! Haven't had a morel in years .... literally.