Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Light Requirements

Posted by mum_mum 5b-6a (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 23:51

Hello!

I live in Chesterland, Ohio which is in Geauga County- Zone 5b/6a-

About how many hours of direct sunlight do morning glories require per day and are there any varieties that can withstand some shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Light Requirements

Mum mum, they are said to need full sun, which is usually equal to at least 6 hours of sun. However . . . I have seen MGs perform fairly well in 4 to 5 hours of sun or even 2 to 3 hours if there is dappled sun before or after. The thing is that with less sun, there are fewer blooms.

o

Thank you so much- The area in which I'm considering planting them gets full sun from just after sunrise until 11 - noon- Then dappled shade- Then sunny again as the sun begins to set-

I was looking on ebay last night at different varieties of Morning Glory seeds- Some indicate part shade- So guess I'll give it a go-

o

I planted 'carnival mix' in my front garden last year (which has much the same light levels as you've indicated), and most of the plants did just fine. Don't expect the masses of blossoms you'd get in a more favourable location, though.

o

Thanks for the suggestion- That sounds just fine- Some is better than none- My intention is to cover up an area where the soil is poor- There's that and in the event we have another drought this year they may survive due to mid-day shade- Out of everything I planted last year in full sun the morning glory proved to be the hardiest of the bunch- They got limp, no question- But bounced back after sundown-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here