Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mum_mum

Morning Glory Light Requirements

mum_mum
10 years ago

Hello!

I live in Chesterland, Ohio which is in Geauga County- Zone 5b/6a-

About how many hours of direct sunlight do morning glories require per day and are there any varieties that can withstand some shade?

Comments (7)

• sherriseden
    10 years ago

Mum mum, they are said to need full sun, which is usually equal to at least 6 hours of sun. However . . . I have seen MGs perform fairly well in 4 to 5 hours of sun or even 2 to 3 hours if there is dappled sun before or after. The thing is that with less sun, there are fewer blooms.

• mum_mum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much- The area in which I'm considering planting them gets full sun from just after sunrise until 11 - noon- Then dappled shade- Then sunny again as the sun begins to set-

I was looking on ebay last night at different varieties of Morning Glory seeds- Some indicate part shade- So guess I'll give it a go-

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    10 years ago

I planted 'carnival mix' in my front garden last year (which has much the same light levels as you've indicated), and most of the plants did just fine. Don't expect the masses of blossoms you'd get in a more favourable location, though.

• mum_mum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion- That sounds just fine- Some is better than none- My intention is to cover up an area where the soil is poor- There's that and in the event we have another drought this year they may survive due to mid-day shade- Out of everything I planted last year in full sun the morning glory proved to be the hardiest of the bunch- They got limp, no question- But bounced back after sundown-

• Meanwhile, back at the Rake-A-Lot Ranch
    7 years ago

I agree with Noahedwinbeach. I've grown heavenly blue morning glories in full sun with dramatic results, but the blooms closed up and died very quickly when the sun got too hot. I discovered that if I grew them where there was more shade, then the blooms lasted longer. It's true there won't be as many blooms if they grow in shade, but I'm trying them over my garden gate arbor which gets only some morning sun and late evening sun with indirect light most of the day. I expect to get a respectable showing of bloom that will last for most of the day, if not all of it. If the morning glories do well in this spot, I shall spring for a light colored clematis that will perform in shade. If neither will perform well enough, I will try a photinia for drama.

• Deborah Luik
    5 years ago

We are 9a w/ burning sun. For the first time I planted morning glories (chocolate) on a west facing wall and a west facing fence and was very pleased with the result. The blooms are in shade and therefore open until well after noon. Then they get a blast of Texas sun to fuel them. My true full sun ones have more blooms but to be seen only when you leave the house in the morning ;-) My saddest ones are on a south facing wall with some shade. Enough sun to close the flowers and burn up the leaves and not enough to fuel good growth.