Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgmax

ant infestation in yard and garden!! red ones

kgmax
12 years ago

Hello all: I NEED HELP! We have an ant infestation happening in the yard and I mean THE ENTIRE YARD. Gardens, lawn, patio and even entered the front door last week when it was 34C degrees here. THE LAWN: I noticed huge bare patches of dirt with no grass, no matter how many bags of seed I put down from Fall to now. These ants take 1/2 the seed and they also plant 4 and 5 maple tree keys in a hole at a time all over the place. They are red ants. There are big cracks running through these big bare patches and I got so angry I took a shovel and turned over the dirt in several of them. TO MY HORROR thousands of ants began coming to the surface and literally swarmed and covered the dirt as fast as they could. AND...upon turning all our stepping stones, I saw the eggs I did expect and have seen before, BUT there are 10 times as many ants carting them off in a hurry. I sprayed water down every darn crack, which caused a huge hole to form, meaning it is hollow underneath with tunnels. I was hoping to drown them - DID NOT WORK. I poured boiling water. DID NOT WORK. I have outside ant traps. DID NOT WORK. Finally, I sprinkled ant powder- DID NOT WORK. PLEASE HELP ME someone. They are eating all my grass seed and have planted millions of weeds. AND they bite. I am at my wits end trying to just get some kind of lawn growing. The gardens are the same. As is the patio, driveway and you name it. Karen in trouble in Thamesville, Ontario.

Comment (1)

• shihni
    12 years ago

You can get liquid ant killer in little red bottles (its made by Raid). I swear by it. My parents swear by it. Everyone I know who's ever had an ant problem swears by it. You can get it locally (I live about an hour from you). My parents also used it with great success down in Florida against a nasty fire ant problem.

The ants just pick it up and carry it home: and then kill all their buddies. Buy a couple bottles, and walk around with it upside down dropping it here and there around your yard/patio/etc. Additionally, scrub areas where you see them frequently (like patios, walkways and doorways) with a detergent of some sort to get rid of pheremone trails: they follow trails laid by other ants in hopes that it'll lead them to food too.

If that doesn't work (it might take a few applications), then I'd suggest calling somebody to spray your yard.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting