Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardwellave

Best Detroit area greenhouses/nurseries?

cardwellave
12 years ago

Hey fellow Detroiters, where are some of your favorite nurseries/greenhouses? I live in the Garden City/Westland area and I am running out of good places to go. I LOVED Block's of Romulus but they are closed now. Schwartz's down the street on Sibley wasn't bad either but they are close to closing also I believe, at least their perennials are all but gone. There is a red barn on Ford Rd and Newburgh called Ken's Country Produce that isn't bad, decent selection and prices. English Garden's and Farmer John's have nice selections, but pricey.

Where else is there to go? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

Northfield Farms! They used to be wholesale only but are now retail too. They're a production house, and not a full-service nursery, so aren't staffed to stand around and answer questions, but are extremely nice people with great plants. Wear comfortable shoes - it's BIG.

They're on Rushton Road in South Lyon, and worth the drive IMO. Website is northfieldplants.com

Barson's is another place that's not too pricey.

• cardwellave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Barsons never seems to have a good selection, I am very close to them though.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

I agree - I just consider it another place to check if I'm looking for a particular plant.

Specialty Growers in Howell is reasonably priced and has a decent selection. They're not huge...but you can look at their catalog online.

For a very good selection with reasonable prices, I think Northfield is worth the trip.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer