Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Detroit area greenhouses/nurseries?

Posted by cardwellave MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 0:27

Hey fellow Detroiters, where are some of your favorite nurseries/greenhouses? I live in the Garden City/Westland area and I am running out of good places to go. I LOVED Block's of Romulus but they are closed now. Schwartz's down the street on Sibley wasn't bad either but they are close to closing also I believe, at least their perennials are all but gone. There is a red barn on Ford Rd and Newburgh called Ken's Country Produce that isn't bad, decent selection and prices. English Garden's and Farmer John's have nice selections, but pricey.

Where else is there to go? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Detroit area greenhouses/nurseries?

Northfield Farms! They used to be wholesale only but are now retail too. They're a production house, and not a full-service nursery, so aren't staffed to stand around and answer questions, but are extremely nice people with great plants. Wear comfortable shoes - it's BIG.

They're on Rushton Road in South Lyon, and worth the drive IMO. Website is northfieldplants.com

Barson's is another place that's not too pricey.

o

Barsons never seems to have a good selection, I am very close to them though.

o

I agree - I just consider it another place to check if I'm looking for a particular plant.

Specialty Growers in Howell is reasonably priced and has a decent selection. They're not huge...but you can look at their catalog online.

For a very good selection with reasonable prices, I think Northfield is worth the trip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here