Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcinont

Problems with shasta virburnum

marcinont
15 years ago

I have 2 shasta virburnum in my yard.Iplanted them 5 years ago. They seem to strugle every year. Every year I put 3 fertilizer sticks around the drip line of the bush. The bush is about 3 feet high.This year was the first year the one in full sun flowered. It had small leaves. The weather became hot and the flowers died and so did all the upper leaves.Now it looks like the whole bush will die. We have had a fair amount of rain and everything else is doing great.This type of bush was suppose to be easy to grow.I really love the texture of the leaves.Any idea's ?

marc.

Comments (3)

• marcinont
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of my viburnum. hope this will explain better.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic's of my viburnum

• jroot
    15 years ago

We get this message, and cannot see the photo.

This photo is private.
    Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

This has been a strange spring and early summer. The sudden heat wave might have been too much for it. My understanding is that they like sun. My neighbour has one, and I have admired it for a few years now. This past winter, half of it died. He moved it to a wall location, and it looks better there.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Can't really tell from the pic. First, stop using fertilizer spikes, they are a waste of money. This could be a root issue, soil issue, viburnum borers- anything.

tj