Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fslteacher63

Newbie at growing ANYTHING...need to learn.

FSLTeacher63
10 years ago

I can kill a silk plant, literally, but I love the taste of a great tomato....so at age 58, and a city gal, I've embarqued on the new adventure of growing 2 tomato plants in their own containers on my westward-facing balcony. I went to Lowe's to buy the things I needed and planted them. My concern at the moment is the soil. Lowe's sold me Garden Safe's Organic Vegetable Garden Soil plus Natural Plant Food. Of course, after planting the tomato plants in the huge containers, I notice on the bags of soil a note saying that it is not recommended for container growing, and for best results, use the Garden Safe Organic All Purpose Potting Mix. Now my question is, since I'm not going to transplant the tomatoes into yet another soil, what should I do? Do I need to add something to this soil? Will I need to water more frequently? Do I still need to add Miracle Gro for Tomatoes later on? If my tomatoes do well this year, I'll try my hand at other veggies.

Comment (1)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The tomato plants will very likely do fine in the container set up that you describe. If there is already fertilizer in the dirt, then they will not need extra fertilizer for at least two months.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting