Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannab_gw

Wal Mart does it again

wannab
15 years ago

While checking out the W M Garden center the other day, I happened to hear a young couple trying to choose plants for their new home. You could tell they were trying to spend their money wisely. They had decided on a Confederate Jasmine to grow up their trellis. As they were about to put the very healthy plant in their basket, I said excuse me, but you may want to know that that vine will not survive the cold weather here. (we winter in Alabama's Gulf Coast so I know the plant) The young couple were glad I had spoken up and he said, Why do they sell things that will not live here. I told him not to feel to badly about not knowing, I have been "burned" a few times myself by buying plants in Alabama Wal Mark that are hardy to only cooler climites. And I should have known better. Go figure IF WE WILL BUY IT WAL MART WILL SELL IT.

Comments (3)

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

Good stuff to help that young couple with your garden knwledge

I have done the same several times and it feels good to be of help.

I think there is reason perhaps to sell the plants such as you mentioned, so you can use them as an annual or maybe overwinter them in some possible ways indoors. They do overwinter quite easily in a cool place

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

Newbies should ALWAYS go to a local nursery for their first plantings. They will learn so much. And they should practice KISS until they learn from experience.

In my zone 5 area, all the big stores try to muscle in on the growing season. For some crazy reason, this year Fleet
    Farm had the most healthy and luscious plants around. They must have gotten a new buyer. Plus, every thing was hardy to our zone, or marked as annuals. Our old KMart switched to Sears, and I miss the Martha Stewart brand of flowers.
    Pondy

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Big chains are funny places. During a "career transition" (company downsized) I applied for seasonal employment at the garden centers of 3 major retail chains. My background is in large scale retail (Director of Customer Service) and I come from a nursery farm family. I didn't even get called for interviews. Eh. I ended up working for a family run nursery and had a blast.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider