Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebear1271

Organic dirt?

ebear1271
14 years ago

I recently started my first "real" garden. Wanting it to be as natural as possible, I purchased organic dirt. It's consistency is more like compost but that isn't the problem. We had it delivered in bulk. As we were shoveling it into the garden, we noticed lots of "miscellaneous" things in it. Some paper, a couple pieces of metal, and lots of plastic (from bags, bucket handles, even a long, rubbery tube). My question is, is this normal for organic dirt or did I overspend on fancy dirt?

Comments (2)

• scapeartist
    14 years ago

Hi There,

Kudos on growing organic this year, you will be very happy by harvest time as it is well worth the effort (and the plants will show you that too!)

As for your OG dirt... not sure where you purchased it or how much you paid, but I can tell you what I do know about organic mixes. People do make their own 'organic soil' and 100% of the time compost is involved.

More likely than not your mix is a blend of compost and perhaps some (and hopefully) fish/sea based compost. Compost is nothing but broken down organic matter, so I am not surprised that the inorganic stuff is still around. You can set up a composter of your own to make this type of compost. What is worth the money is the fish/sea based organic material, a.k.a fish emulsion. The natural time release & nutrient content is fantastic and the plants love it.

For the future, I would make my own. You can buy fish emulsion (a water based product you dilute) at your local garden center, and no, I do NOT mean at Home Depot. You can always check with you own local municipality for FREE compost, I know Taylor, MI offers it. Where do you think all of that yard rubbish goes? : )

Anyhow, I hope this helps!

BethAnn
    www.hometownharvestorganics.com

• ebear1271
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much BethAnn! I am a bit concerned now though. I didn't realize there could be fish in the compost. My husband is allergic to fish and I can't find anything on the internet to see if this will cause a problem. Does anyone out there know?

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor