Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theyardman_gw

Where can I get a trumpet vine in SE Michigan?

theyardman
15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a trumpet vine here in SE Michigan that doen't cost an arm and a leg?

Please advise.

Comments (5)

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

The cheapest would be to ask someone who has it if you can take cuttings. It can be propagated from both hard or soft wood cuttings. You could also ask someone who has it if they have volunteer seedlings you can dig up.

Please keep in mind that some people are allergic to the sap so you should take care when working with it. Also, it should never be planted next to a building as the vines will tear into the structure over time.

good luck

• colleen_mi
    15 years ago

I wonder if we're thinking of the same plant? I can't believe anyone would pay for it when they grow so prolifically. If you still need it, let me know where you are and I can probably dig some up. It grows into my yard constantly from the neighbor's garden.

• theyardman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Colleen MI,

I would love a cutting. I am located in Northern Detroit in the City of Troy. Are u anywhere near me?

I saw an antique trumpet vine at the Van Hoosen Farm in Rochester and I have a large area that needs to be screened near the back of my property.

Let me know if you are near, I may be able to pick up a cutting.

Thanks,
    TheYardman

• colleen_mi
    15 years ago

This the one you're looking for?

If it doesn't storm, I'll be in the yard tonight, so give me a chance to see what I have and I'll get back to you. I'm in Royal Oak area, so I'm very close by. (I grew up in Troy.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Campsis Radicans (Trumpet Vine)

• colleen_mi
    15 years ago

Yardman, I was able to dig up a few suckers of this tonight. They all have a few roots still attached, and I've put them into a bag of soil to hold onto for you. I don't think you can kill this plant, but in case these don't work out, there is more out there and you can take some cuttings just to be sure.

Email me off the board and we can work out a way to get these to you.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living