Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditaroy

Landscape design

ditaroy
16 years ago

Does anyone out there have a landscape design plan/layout to share for Michigan? Just an arrangement for the various plants and the plant list for a garden around a house. I would like one especially for the front of the house as a sample to help me do mine or just suggestions of where I can find such designs....

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Hi,

Just for grins here's what I've got wandering around my house (please note I'm a cottage style gardener so it's all pretty haphazard):

North side:
    Columbine (common blue and common white) scattered througout for spring color nice leaves throughout
    japanese azalea 2 bracketing the front steps spring color
    various hosta interplanted throughout leaves and summer bloom
    bleeding heart scattered througout spring color
    english bluebells scattered throughout summer color
    sweet william scattered throughout early summer color
    coral bells (heuchera) leaves for texture and color
    aruncus (goatsbeard) both white and red varieties nice leaves and long summer bloom time
    on the corners where I get a bit of sun I have cosmos and coreopsis for summer color

East side:
    bearded iris (big clumps on either end of the house) spring color and nice vertical leaves
    sweet william (scattered throughout) early summer color
    salvia (perennial and annual) early to late summer color
    false indigo (tallish so it's behind the others spring color and nice vertial plant
    perennial sunflower (it's tall so it's in the back next to the false indigo) summer color
    virginia bluebells (scattered throughout since they reseed pretty easily) summer color

South side:

Peonies about 5 or 6 as foundation planting great spring color and nice green throughout
    perennial sunflower planted between the peonies for summer color
    hollyhocks kinda toward the back behind the peonies for summer color and height
    coreopsis for summer color
    portulaca as a flowering ground cover
    salvia (annual)
    various lilies
    spring bulbs, tulips, hyacith, daffs, etc.
    a couple rose of sharon for late summer bloom and structure
    mini dahlias for very late summer color (thirsty little suckers)

West side:
    veggie garden

As you may be able to tell I don't have much in the way of woody shrubs around my house. I keep meaning to put some in but then I see what I've got and hate to rip things out to make room.

One of the best ways to get ideas and a plant list is to wander your neighborhood and find gardens that catch your eye. If you are in a newer home visit a more established neighborhood in your area. Make a note of the addresses and go back on the weekend. Very likely you'll see someone working in their yard. Compliment them on their skill and ask them if you can get some advice. Most gardeners are more than happy to talk about their gardens. Who knows, some may even offer you plant divisions or seeds if they have any available.

Cheers!

• ditaroy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks that really helps!! I had the veggie garden set for the west side just like you mentioned. I also picked up some hostas bulbs yesterday on sale at 50%. I was wondering will August be a good time to put them into the ground if I mulch them well? OR should I just wait till next spring to put them in?

Thanks!!

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

You're very welcome. Something I didn't say earlier, all yards and gardens are different. I happen to have pretty decent well draining soil and I've spent a couple years adding organic material to it. Your soil may be completely different from mine so you may need very different plants. :-)

I've pretty much grown hosta from divisions and confess I'm not an expert but... I've divided them at all different times of the summer and had no real problems with them recovering. I do keep them well watered until I see new growth coming on. One thing I did read is that small divisions (I'm guessing that's what your bulbs are) tend to grow only 1 leaf to begin with so you might want to cluster your starters to get a fuller look faster.

Happy planting!

• ditaroy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you happen to have any pictures of your garden? It would be nice to see it!

Thanks!

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Funny, I always promise myself I'll get a digital camera and document my garden, then I get into the dirt and forget all about taking pix. :-D

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County