Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanr_2007

How Invasive is This?

jeanr_2007
16 years ago

Our landscaper put a 'wildlife strip' at the back of our lot and wanted whatever came up to come up. This lavender plant came up the 3rd year in large clumps 6-8 feet wide. It's pretty but I'm worried that it will take over because I see it along side a lot of roads recently---I live in Michigan. Should I find a way to get rid of it? If so, how would you suggest I do that? I spread wildflower seeds back there and they have done will but I don't believe this is something I planted.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo gallery

Comments (2)

• grannymarsh
    16 years ago

Even tho I cannot see the leaves very well, it looks like vetch. GET RID of it. Pull it, stomp it, spray it. If it is, indeed vetch, it will reseed rampantly. And keep at it. There are several kinds of vetch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive

• jeanr_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for putting a name to this plant. I was able to find more information on the web with it and I think you're right about it being vetch...probably crown vetch. Now I know what my plans are for tomorrow! I want to get that stuff out pulled up before the flower seeds drop!!! I can't believe how fast it spread since I first noticed it. While going in to town today I noticed long stretches along the highway with this stuff the only vegetation in sight.

Thanks again.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor