Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnesota_newbie

endless summer hydrangea color

Minnesota_newbie
18 years ago

Hi! I've decided to try some Endless Summer hydrangeas (since everybody and they're brother has been selling them this year) Anyway, I'd read that you can kill your ES hydrangea by adding too much aluminum sulfate to make it bloom blue, so I added it at the prescribed level, but my new blooms are coming out pink. Any ideas?

Thanks~

Comments (6)

• hydrangea2
    18 years ago

The aluminum sulphate may be too little or it may not have reached the root ball.

I used alot of aluminum sulphate...say 1/4 cup every two weeks the entire season until they bloomed and it worked for me. THis was on Nikko BLue.

• Minnesota_newbie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow.... I didn't use nearly that much. I guess I need to stock up on alum sulfate. Thanks for the help!

• hydrangea2
    18 years ago

My endless summer is starting to bloom at it is blue.

In total this year I probably put down 2/3 of a cup. I suspect that since it was blue in the pot last year, the root ball was surrounded by acidic soil which made my application less this year.

• casper1
    18 years ago

I suggest that you investigate the use of "ALUMINIUM" as it has been under the gun Re: poisoning certain plants, Re the rhodo group and some of the watergarden group. "Ferrous Sulfate" may be the better choice,however I personally don't know for sure as I don't grow blue Hydrangeas, and I would never have "ALUMINIUM" in my garden. Rai

• hydrangea2
    18 years ago

Aluminum sulphate should not be used for rhodos and azaleas but can be safely used for hydrangeas.

• DDhydrangea
    12 years ago

I have 3 endless summers 2 blue 1 pink. I planted them in spring of 08. The colors have changed a little bit, the blues have stayed blue with a bit of lavender and the pink is a darker pink with some lavender here and there. After 3 years I figure my soil must be on the neutral side.

I asked my local garden center if I could change the pink to blue and she said "a pink hydrangea will never be blue, however a blue hydrangea can turn pink". Can someone tell me if this makes sense? Especially when the ES hydrangeas are marketed to change color?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH