Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gocarmen_gw

Containing woodruff and lily of the valley

gocarmen
16 years ago

I just bought a home and the gardens are growing very wild, so I have some work to do. I'm new at this and am learning as I go.. I just got some sweet woodruff and then was told it is very invasive. I want to plant it in an out of the way corner, surrounded by a stone walk way. Will this contain it?

Also, I have a large flower bed with many beautiful shrubs and perrenials, but there is a lot of lily of the valley and it is taking over. I think I need to take everything out, remove the lily an start over.

I'd like to use the lily to dress the base of a tree. If I trim the area with a border that runs 6" deep, will the lily of the valley escape?

Comments (2)

• entling
    16 years ago

6" is not deep enough. When I dug my LOV out this Spring, some of the runners were over a foot deep. I replanted some of it in a container from a shrub, plunged in the ground.

• chris_ont
    16 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the woodruff. Unlike the lily of the valley, they don't have complicated root system (where little pieces break off and start their own colony!). Just pull them out where you don't want them.
    They are also small enough to just stop growing when they run into things bigger than they are, such as hostas or other shade plants.
    I just love them as ground cover and encourage them to do as they please :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus