Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thai Basil Pics and Tomato rot

Posted by
ChicagoDeli37;iv_tkt=nfnf none
(gw:ChicagoDeli37;iv_tkt=nfnfikgpfnfo8bjppvnnX) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 11:40

Some of my better bush Tomatoes are coming in but some look like this on the bottom. What could I be doing wrong.

Basil hasn't been doing well. Any ideas why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thai Basil Pics and Tomato rot

I'm not an expert, but the tomato looks like it could be blossom end rot - head over to the Tomato forum, they'll know what it is.

o

blossom end rot-you need more water and more calcium-usually its not enough calcium being transported to rapidly growing fruit via water uptake...when its hot(90+) water several times a day keep soil moist NOT WET, amend with gypsum(calcium sulfate) use coffee grounds chickitty doo doo and composted fish fertilizer-TOMATOES need lots of food and water

They originate in the ORINOCO that is the Amazon hot wet partial sun very rich soil-try to duplicate...if above 90s water well and shade if you can-good luck

o

That is definitely Blossom End Rot on the tomatoes. I plant many tomatoes each year (in containers) and find that some varieties are more susceptible. Also the first few tomatoes on each plant have it. Once the plants get growing, the rest of the tomatoes are fine.

As for the basil - I've never seen anything like this. Did you put a heavy load of fertilizer in before planting? Has it been unusually cool? My basil likes it HOT and Moist.

o

I find that the older the soil is, the more problems I have.

If you mixed some compost in with the soil and top dressed around your strugglIng plants they might change their attitude.

Also, let them know that you are not happy with their behavior. Maybe they will smarten up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here