Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter4_gw

Arum (Italicum)

peter4
14 years ago

Help! Someone gave me two bulbs of this Arum and I don't know whether to plant it now, wait til fall or hold it til spring. From what I have read, it doesn't take the cold very well if left out in the winter and it can be very invasive. So anything anyone can tell me about it would be appreciated. I am in the Thumb of Michigan.

Comments (7)

• denninmi
    14 years ago

Plant it now and let it do its thing. No, you're right about the hardiness issue, they're pretty marginal here, needs a sheltered microclimate and lots of mulch in the winter. I used to have a few of them -- they survived but didn't thrive, never were invasive, and finally died out, don't know if it was from cold, rot, rodents or what, but a couple of springs ago they just didn't come back up.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I have a small patch that has survived for the past three years without protection. They're about 10' from the west wall of the house

• peter4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, both of you. I'm going to plant the two of them tomorrow and hope for the best. I've seen this plant at a friend's housse in Belleville, MI and thought they were just beautiful. Hope mine come out good, too. Thanks again.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

Wish we had a picture of it

I love Arums

I have one called VOodoo lil which I have had for eyars

I have it in tubs and bring them in over winter

Have left some outside and they overwinter sometimes with lots of leaves dumped on them in the fall

But much better show, is given, when overwintered in huge pots with maybe canna lilys or some such plant of a tropic nature

Hope you enjoy them

• origami_master
    14 years ago

This is my Arum italicum this year

{{gwi:865862}}

• origami_master
    14 years ago

a closer look at the blooms

{{gwi:865863}}

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

thanks so for the photo

I can't believe that my Voodoo lily overwintered this year

I had put down about a foot of leaves in the fall. This was a new flower bed and I had intended to bring in the Voodoo lily bulbs and Calla bulbs that where in the bed

But there was so much to do and so many areas to get the work done that I just did not get everything done before frost and leaving myself for Florida for the winter.

I did though, throw on bags and bags of leaves on all the flower beds.
    Thanks for your photos Sorry not to have written back sooner