Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Raised Beds Question - Need HELP!

cmpman1974
18 years ago

I mentioned I am adding a fer raised wooden beds to my existing garden. I constructed two 4' wide x 12' long x 10" high beds made of untreated wood (not pressure treated). I had my topsoil / compost delivered Saturday and filled both beds yesterday.

I am making one more 4' wide x 4' long bed since I have some extra dirt. Why waste dirt, right? :)

Now, the big problem. My dad suggested I waterproof the garden beds with a sealer. I did this already on the two large beds. When I was at Home Depot today, they told me to NOT use waterproofing sealant on garden beds if I am eating the produce.

Did I make a big mistake? I paid $50-$60 for the wood so I seriously hope not. Of course, I am not willing to risk my health over the cost. Any thoughts on this topic? I feel stupid since I didn't use pressure treated wood because of the arsenic content (supposedly) and then I put chemicals on the untreated wood.

Coincidentally, I waterproofed the beds outside and it killed all the grass the stuff dripped on - kind of scary. I used Olympia clear waterproofing sealer.

What would all of you do? My dirt cost me about $100-$125 I hope it's not contaminated already!

As much as I try to read and learn, there's always something I don't think about!

I look forward to your responses.

Chris

Comments (2)

• ceraholt
    18 years ago

Hi Chris,
    I'm not sure if it's applicable to outdoors but milkpaint is non toxic. Try calling the manufacturer Olympia and see what they say about your project.
    I used cedar for my RB which doesn't rot fast. Eventually I'll have to do something to seal it so I look forward to other's responses....

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

Did you only use sealer on the outside? If so, I would think that the beds are fine -- the surface sealer applied by a homeowner wouldn't penetrate through to the soil. If you did the inside as well, I would suggest pulling the soil back from the edges and lining the inner sides with heavy landscape plastic to form a barrier. IMHO this sounds like way to much work for a relatively low risk of toxic contamination. Checking with the manufacturer is a good suggestion.
    Good Luck!