Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

Too late for seed in Door County WI?

connie1946
18 years ago

Today is Wednesday, June 29th here in Door County,Wisconsin. Zone 5.

I have 2 areas of flower beds that have been totally neglected for at least 2 summers before this summer ...except that I hit them with Weed Eliminator in May. There are now fresh new weeds growing...but not too bad yet. Last night I watered these areas well and today have hoed and dug up the area (not real deeply...about 3/4 inches) and I'm getting out the weeds. If I add in some Milorganite (because I have it)...and smooth it all out nicely.... is it too late to put in ANY type of seed yet this year?

Would wildflowers still grow? or Cosmos from seed?

I hate to see these area of plain dirt in the back of the house. The area is full sun and has on huge Stella d'ora Day Lilly growing in it now..

Comments (4)

• pondwelr
    18 years ago

It sounds like a perfect place to start one of my favorites, Lupines. The seeds will grow this summer/fall and set a plant about 4/5 inches tall. Next year it will bloom. I started some from seed about 5 years ago, and have had tons of self seeders ever since. And my beds are heavily mulched too. Hey, they just fall between the wood chips, put up little plants, and next year bloom like the wonders they are.
    I've also had great luck starting coneflowers, all colors, from seeds. Ask any neighbor for a few seed heads, and scatter them now.
    I will send seeds from Lupines if you want. They are still on the plants, but ripening. I will save some just in case anyone wants some.
    Pondy

• callalilykris
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Zinnias germinate and grow very fast in full sun. There are so many different varieties and the colors are bright and cheerful. They're one of my favorites.

• connie1946
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi...I tried to post a reply message here a few minutes ago, but it was rejected. So I'll try again.
    I just wanted to thank Pondy for the idea of planting lupine now for next year. And to reply that yes I would love to try some of her lupine seed.
    I have sent my address in an e-mail directly to you....I hope that goes through.
    Connie

• pondwelr
    18 years ago

Havent been on the net in ages. But saw your msg, Connie.
    I havent gotten an email since June 29th, when I switched servers. Dont know what is wrong. It is now the end of July, and let me tell you, it is still a fine idea to plant Lupine seeds. I noticed some of mine putting out their little first yr plants. In fact, many other biennials would probably work too. Some garden stores (like Steins) still have seeds, and they are heavily discounted. How I wish I could have sent you some of my seeds, cuz I know they are prolific and hardy. My original seeds were Russell hybreds. Good luck. Pondy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting