Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizcupcake

Can I move and divide a bleeding heart

mizcupcake
14 years ago

I have a very old 'Bleeding Heart' that is presently growing in my front flower bed and I would like to move it to the back yard..can this be done and if so when would be the best time to do so.

Many thanks for all your input!

Brenda

Comments (4)

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

Best time would be in the spring when the foliage is just emerging. At this time of the year, the plant is probably pretty large and even carefully digging it up would result in a lot of the branches breaking off.

The roots are also a bit brittle and snap apart easily too - so in the spring when you're not dealing with a lot of awkward foliage is an ideal time. Get your new transplant hole in the backyard prepared and ready before digging up the plant. Get as much of the root ball as possible and it should do just fine. If some root pieces break, plant those too and you'll likely get new plants.

• jroot
    14 years ago

Brenda5b,

I am from zone 5 also. I find that my bleeding heart blooms profusely in the spring, like duluthinbloomz4 says. Thereafter, it starts to die back. In fact, I trim off the larger branches, as they tend to droop and look somewhat unsightly. I look at them as similar to other spring blooming plants, in that they put on their growth in early spring, have their fertilization period, and then regather their strength shortly after and finally start to go dormant during the really hot August days. That being said, I would take a differing viewpoint from duluthinbloomz4. I think that I would be tempted to let it die back somewhat this summer, trim off the branches to a manageable size, leaving some of the healthier smaller branches on, and move it this fall or late summer. Remember what duluthinbloomz4 says about the roots, so take as much earth as you can with it. Water it well, and then let it finish going into complete dormancy. This way, you won't disturb its rapid growth in the spring, and should get a wonderful floral display next year.

The other comment to be made is to consider the light requirements of the plant. I find that I get a nicer plant if it gets some shade and sun mixed. I have mine on the northwest side of the house. It is HUGE, and I get new plants coming up yearly. It seems to be happy there. Of course, any plant will perform its best when it is happy.

• virraszto
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 5. Last summer, I divided a bleeding heart because it was growing too large. I wasn't happy with it in the first place, so I just took a shovel and dug up half of it and replanted it somewhere else. Both are fine this year.

• mizcupcake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks for all of your input and I think I will attempt to move it later this month.
    It is so big and presently in the front flower bed and starting to look 'bedraggled' after flowering.
    Again many thanks!
    Brenda

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner