Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plath_gw

When is too late for veggies?

plath
18 years ago

When is it too late to plant veggies like tomatoes, cucumber, squash (zuchini and things like pumpkin), and peppers in zone 5? Is it already too late?

I had hoped to get a garden dug and planted before now, but I'm just today digging. What can I plant that will still do great?

Comments (7)

• Nancy in Mich
    18 years ago

I know that if you bought the plants already started, you'd do fine. Lowes, Home Depot, and most nurseries sell the plants already started. Also check out your farmer's Markets. Saturday ours had several vendors with veggie plants - cabbage, peppers, tomatoes in bloom, other greens.

• Irmgaard
    18 years ago

Someone told me once that if you plant tomatoes of various size at the same time, they will catch up with each other in a week or so. Last year I did notice it to work that way, but I would still buy the biggest ones I could find I guess, since I have just a small space for veggies. One year on a whim, I bought a six pack of jalapeno peppers on 4th of July and ended up with more peppers than I needed. Gardening is all an experiment so if I were you I would plant away.

• chezmoose
    18 years ago

It's not too late. Just check the growing season on the seed packages and make sure they'll be ripe before your average first frost. I'm sure your season is a bit longer than ours here in northern MI. When we had our veggie garden we never planted before Memorial Day and always expected a frost the 2nd week of June! Kept all the old sheets and blankets handy and kept hot caps on the pumpkins. Zucchini and pumpkins grow really fast so you'll be fine. You will soon be giving zukes to all your friends and neighbors! ;-) Cucumbers, radishes, peas, green beans will all be fine.

Peppers and tomatoes you should get plants already started as they need a longer growing season. If you're making salsa, plant Cilantro in July and it'll probably be growing nicely by the time the peppers and tomatoes are done. Any earlier and it will go to seed (coriander) too early.

Good luck!

• colleen_mi
    18 years ago

I'm a bit late getting mine in here in Metro Detroit, but I've been late before and they do catch up. Anyway, even if you only get a few homegrown tomatoes, it's still worth it, don't you think?

• lynndee90
    7 years ago

Planting anything is better then nothing and it might help you to start next year wjen you see how fast vegetables grow.. Always amazing to me!

• Vik Nowicki
    7 years ago

Anyone know of any places that still have live plants in SE Michigan? Especially peppers. Tried Lowes and HD and they didn't have anything. Tried starting with seeds this year and it was a bust.

• PRO
    RW Harrison
    7 years ago

Check the maturation dates, for many varieties which you are interested in the harvest dates are 60-100 days. There are many excellent books that outline year around gardening though, they detail how to grow during the "shoulder seasons" after/before the optimal growing season. Good Luck!