Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_is_a_rose

Gladiolas

rose_is_a_rose
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me if my Gladiolas should be showing through the soil yet? This is only my second year with them and I can't remember when they started to pop out last year.

Comments (8)

• sneeze_guard
    18 years ago

Hi there, Yes they should have just started in the last few weeks or so. I noticed mine last week. Every area will be a little or maybe alot different, but yes they should look like blades of grass about now. Who said they wouldn't over winter? Their not as big after the first year.

• rose_is_a_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sneeze guard.... I think I'll do a little digging and see what I can find.

• charlottev
    18 years ago

I've never over wintered my glads. The last two winters were long and cold, so I am surprised. Let me know if it works. I have still to plant mine however and I think tonight is the night. I may get later blooms but that is okay as we will be away the last week of August and early Sept and with any luck I will have flowers when we get back instead of all them being gone.

• rose_is_a_rose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh my! I dug one of my bulbs up and it was all mussy! I guess I've lost them! ;(

• pastvast
    18 years ago

I thought the "hardy" glads were only hardy to ~Z5 and regular glads weren't hardy at all and needed to be dug up in the fall.

-Stephanie

• charlottev
    18 years ago

I always dig up my glads and store them over winter as they are not hardy, at least in my zone. I do have some hardy glads that stay in the group, but they are small and the clump never gets bigger. The only reason they are still there is because they are not in the way of anything else.

• Nicole124
    18 years ago

Does anyone know when to dig up glads in zone 4? This is my first year with them and I have over 200 of them...Do I dig after flowering or do I wait till they die down? About what month do I dig them up?

Thanks...

• diane_v_44
    18 years ago

I just wrote an email as to if anyone yet grows Gladiolas. If I would have looked through the forum I would have seen yes indeed, Gladiolas are growing just fine in Ontario.
    Are you folks buying your Gladiolas from the local retail stores such as Home Depot etc. or more specialized growers

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator