Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Hole of Michigan

Posted by whynotmi 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 19:38

Well ok, just the black hole of my yard...

The SE corner of my garage seems to be the "Death Row" of my yard. Apparently a previous owner dumped fuel and motor oil there. I've tried planting "thugs" like Jacob Kline and the soil killed it in one season.

Are there any plants that can help "clean" this patch of soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Hole of Michigan

Well, in Tawas MI, at my mom's house, there was a flower bed in the front yard, the whole left side of the house that had the same problem. The soil is all sand, so we thought that any chemicals would have washed away. About 10 years after she moved there, I put down sections of newspaper with many bags of top soil over it, and planted iris--2 weeks later they were all dead, and the ones I planted in the back grew fine. So here it is 30 YEARS later and still nothing will grow there--not even the invading grass. You will need to get it tested, and not just a regular test either ---$$$. contact your extension office. oh, by the way, good luck!!

o
RE: Black Hole of Michigan

Actually I was just reading not too long ago about experiments using trees to clean up this sort of thing. I did a quick google search and had a lot of hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=using+tree+to+remediate+petroleum

The idea is to plant one of these fast growing trees which draw the contaminants up from the soil. You'll have to chop down the tree, but at least you'll have something growing there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here