Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiobob

gravel mulch under maple

ohiobob
16 years ago

I have a large, landscaped area under a big old Silver Maple, and next to our screen porch (It takes about eight yards of mulch to cover this one area). It's planted with hosta, coral bells, and other dry-shade perennials. A few years ago, when this bed was created, I mulched it with wood mulch. However, in a few months fine roots from the maple rose up into the mulch and formed a virtual mat of hair-like roots over the entire area. Now the bed needs additional mulch applied, but instead of an organic material, I was considering putting down about two inches of decorative gravel. I figured this would last a lot longer, and since it's all shade, I wouldn't have to worry about the stones heating the area up too much. The plantings are all fairly substanial, and if I use a small stone they should have no problem emerging each spring.

After reading some postings, it seems gravel isn't too popular among forum members. But, I have to tell you, I do have gravel around the beds that are next to my house (planted mostly with evergreen shrubs) and I like it. It stays in place, I can vacuum all the maple and ash leaves off of it every fall, of which I have tons), and I don't worry about termites or other bugs up next to my house. What would be the down side to gravel in the above described space? Do you think it would solve the "up-lifting root" problem, or would eight yards of organic mulch every two years, or so, still be the right way to go?

Comment (1)

• will_2006
    16 years ago

I like both and each have there points. In my garden I have both in place. With the gravel mulch under my trees I use plastic under it for two reasons, first to stop weeds, which make it look very ugly. The other is to prevent roots and the such from coming up. One could say the same for organic mulches as well. Heat should not be a problem under a tree at any rate.

The other is under your trees if you use stone, make sure it looks natural, nothing less pleasing than say stark white marble chip under a mature tree, just does not work. My Opinion at any rate. Natural is by far better in these cases. Same with organic. Bright red mulch in most natural landscape settings is awful.

In the big picture do what you like. both can work very well in your setting. If money is an issue in the long term, go with the stone. It costs more but will last for ever. Hence Cheaper.

Hope I helped even if a little
    reg

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor