Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brugs_bunny

Aphid outbreak on Honeysuckle Vine, HELP!

brugs_bunny
18 years ago

Hi Everyone, I just noticed today my one Honeysuckle vines has aphids all over it and my other one has some but not as much. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of them. I don't want to have to prune them out yet as they are getting ready to bloom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Comments (10)

• CzechChick
    18 years ago

I like Sevin-5 Garden Dust as long as nothing is in bloom. It is harmful to bees, so I never use it during bloom time. It's also pretty inexpensive.

• brugs_bunny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the post, is that available in Canada?

• CzechChick
    18 years ago

Gosh, I don't know. I would guess it would be. It's toxic, but not in a huge way, the lable says you can use it as a flea dust for pets, I wouldn't, but it says you can. I got mine at a hardware store and it's very common here in the US.

If you prefer to go 100% natural, you can invest in some lady bugs, I've also heard of people putting a hose sprayer on with a bit of force and just hose them off repeatedly.
    Good luck!

• brugs_bunny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, I got the Sevin, do you have any tips on using it? There is nowhere on the directions that mention how to use it on honeysuckles. It mentions mainly vegetables but I assume I would follow the directions for ornamentals and shrubs. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

• CzechChick
    18 years ago

I check the direction of the wind and very, very gently shake the can, letting the wind kind of spread very lightly on the plant. It doesn't take very much, and be very careful not to breathe it in, the less amount you use the better. If too much comes out, you can gently shake the plant to spread out.

Then go back the next day and see if they are gone. Probably will be, let me know!

Nancy

• brugs_bunny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Nancy, How can you tell if you have killed them? They have now turned black so I assume it has worked?

Kathy

• JustTrees
    18 years ago

My Honeysuckle had aphids bad this year too. I just spent about 20 minutes with a hose one day and another 10 minutes the next hosing them off (it's a big vine).

They seem to be under control now. In the future, I recommend just using the hose to kill them. Blast away.

• Anisten
    18 years ago

Another way to kill them is to make a tea out of ruhbarb leaves. Just steep the leaves in boiling water let cool and use in a sprayer. My mother stored some over the winter and used it on some plants that were brought indoors and they died right away. I am not sure you need a specific formula.

• GardenKiwi
    18 years ago

APHID POTION

Mix together
    Equal parts water and rubbing alcohol
    few drops liquid dishwashing soap

Put in sprayer bottle and spray away.

You may have to do this a couple of times when the eggs hatch. Works for me every time.

Good luck - Kiwi in Michigan

• clemmybug
    18 years ago

Sevin is available in Canada in powder or liquid form but it is quite toxic. It does work well. Mixing 12 drops tea tree oil with 1 tsp. light vegetable oil with 1 tsp baking soda in 4 or 5 litres of water works for many things also it is environmentally friendly. Make sure you spray at night so you don't burn your flowers or leaves.