Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juj207

Hibicus

juj207
18 years ago

I just got a couple of Hibicus plants that were started from seeds. I really don't know to much about this plant. what type of soil and sun or shade. These are hardy one so I think they can stay out all winter but do I have to protect them like you do with roses and what about fertilizer.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Julie

Comments (2)

• wyndyacre
    18 years ago

Hardy hibiscus like full sun and average, loamy soil. I have several in various locations in my garden-on the south side of my barn, in a hot, sunny, dry location and in a central shrub bed, with filtered afternoon sun. I mulch with fine wood chips to help retain moisture. They do not require winter protection at all and reliably return every spring. The plant will get larger each year and mine self-seed also. I leave the seedlings in the ground for a couple years before I dig them up and transplant them or pot them up for my plant sales.
    Just be forwarned...hardy hibiscus come up very late in the spring, even as late as early June. The first spring you will wait anxiously for it to come up. Keep waiting! It will come up eventually! Then it will just take off and grow very quickly. The plant dies off down to the ground in the winter so I always leave a few of old flower stalks standing in the fall so I can tell where the plant is in the spring before it starts sprouting again.
    I am assuming that you mean hardy herbaceous hibiscus and not the shrub hibiscus or Rose of Sharon shrub.

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Good info above. Mine are just breaking dormancy now in my southwest Michigan garden. They get about 7 feet tall and pump out about 100 salad-plate sized short-lived blooms in a season. I love this plant! K.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!