Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chills71

Attracting bugs

chills71
18 years ago

Does anyone know whether or not fireflies can be attracted to a garden by planting specific species of plants?

I've had fireflies one year (out of three years) in my new house. I'd like to encourage them to return. Any ideas?

~Chills

Comments (6)

• harlgr8dane
    18 years ago

Too funny, I was going to post the same exact question today...I have wanted to figure out if they are seen more when its hot or humid or cool etc...but I haven't really even seen many this year at all...

• connie1946
    18 years ago

I think you see the most on a very hot night...perhaps humid as well...but not foggy.

• shadyswing
    18 years ago

You might find the following firefly site of some interest. Check out the menu on the left hand side of the page, starting with 'facts about...'

I'm only seeing one lighting...er, sighting, here and there at dusk so far this year. We're experiencing extremely dry conditions though, right now -Last year was far more 'enlightning'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireflies (aka Lightning bugs)

• Fori
    18 years ago

Firefly larvae live in the lawn where they are predators of lawn critters. If the lawns in the area are treated for grubs, there will be a huge reduction in the number of fireflies that emerge...predaceous insects tend to be far more vulnerable to insecticides than herbivorous ones.

• shadyswing
    18 years ago

Thank you for sharing that, Fori. We were out just last night tracing the fireflies' light dance through our garden. Nice way to unwind at the end of the day, anticipating their next flash...and then catching up when they change course -and of course, they only seem to turn when the light's out. ;)

It's good to know the good things they do -thanks again!

• chills71
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had fireflies last night!!

~Chills

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES