Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter4_gw

Foxglove

peter4
17 years ago

My first year growing Foxglove and I need help. I have two beautiful purple and white foxgloves that I planted last year (they didn't do anything). They are blooming and when the flower falls off, there is what looks like a green seed pod left in its place. Is this a seed pod? Can I collect the seeds, etc. I sure could use a few tips!!!!

Comments (5)

• jroot
    17 years ago

A foxglove is a biennial. It grows the first year, but does not flower. The second year, it blooms and creates seeds. Let it mature, and you will have more plants.

If you want a showing every year, you have to plant 2 years in a row, and then you'll have a good show year after year, as long as you don't "weed" them out.

• Boop
    17 years ago

Hi
    You need to let the seed ripen in the pod before you harvest it. Keep the soil scatched up a bit around the Mother plant when the seeds are ripe and it will self seed for you.
    Boop

• peter4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks - Can I harvest the seeds and plant them in a different location? Will I have flowers next year on the original plant, or because it's biennial, I guess I'll have to wait another year, right?

• wannab
    17 years ago

Not necessarly. I have gobs of Fox Glaves and the old plants sometimes lives three years or more. They like to be in a partly shady area. Once you have them reseeding them selves they will pop up all over. AND not always the same color as the mother plant. I love them.

• peter4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Me again. Now the flowers are mostly gone, and I'm wondering about the small green things that are there where the flowers were. Are those the seeds? I took one off, and looked inside, but there didn't seem to be any seeds in it. One of the stalks has no flowers on it, so can I just cut the whole stalk off or should I leave it on? Also, can I move the whole plant to a different location? And if so, when is the best time to do this. Thanks