Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_w_gw

Made the trek to Great Lakes Roses near Ann Arbor

karen_w
18 years ago

and they're awesome. Thousands of (own root) roses. Helpful people. Nothing that isn't hardy in Michigan. Took us 2 1/2 hours to decide what to buy. Definitely worth the trip!

Comments (2)

• goodhors
    18 years ago

I also got some roses there earlier this summer. Mine seem to be quite tough, coming back after some bugs stipped them in ONE DAY! I was shocked at the difference from morning to night, leaves gone. I am still not sure what the bug was, I have never had Japanese beetle problems, can't think of any others that would be so fast. I have kept them dusted, new leaves are coming along. Plants bloomed anyway! I am looking forward to seeing how they develop in the next couple years. I got a couple old-fashioned ones, pretty thornless. I thought they were the same as my mothers rose, but they are not. I will have to keep trying to get a sprout going off that bush. Been unsuccessful for 2 years, many tries. Keeps things interesting though!
    I was pretty amazed at the many varieties available, colors and sizes of the flowers. Probably was a good thing I took the truck. We could only buy what would fit in the back seat, not fill the whole box! One lady went around with us, explained good choices for our wants. Answered all our questions, extremely helpful. I would go back again, was an hour plus drive each way for us as well. They have a nice website under Great Lakes Roses. Helpful in locating roses, seeing pictures of named varieties. Just don't do mailorder.
    I highly recommend Great Lakes to any person looking at roses, CERTAINLY worth the drive.

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

Nancy and Roger Linley are terrific people and dedicated growers. I have around 30 cultivars from them and will never go anywhere else for roses.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor