Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Fruit Is In And More Still Coming

goodhors
18 years ago

How are the crops coming folks? I got all my currents picked and frozen. My mom makes Jelly with them, but waits until weather is cooler to do all that cooking. My one bush did very well, I got about 3 quarts, really! Bush also looked much better when picked, the branches went back to vertical. I am always surprised at how the weight of berries spread the branches down and out. The berries have been red, I give them some extra time and water the bush to get them sweeter. Yeah the birds get some but there were plenty to share.

I see the blackberries, wild, are getting ripe along the fence. Should be ready in another week I think. They also look pretty thick, should be pretty juicy with all the rain we have had.

Anybody else use Mulberries? I see the tree has berries almost ripe. I remember my mom made jelly from them one year for a display she had at the Fair. Needed another variety of jelly to show. Tasted pretty good too. I usually let the birds eat our Mulberries, though the children have been known to have some handfulls too.

We had some Nectarines from a local grower. Very small, but VERY good. Amazing what you can find at the Farmers Market. We have a grower of Heirloom Vegtables, YUMMY things to purchase. Sure has expanded our horizons in the kitchen! Especially good are the tomatoes in every shape and color, even black looking. Also the Eggplant, strange shapes and colors, they taste good fixed in a multitude of ways. Certainly not bitter tasting like the big purple ones from my childhood.

Comment (1)

• chills71
    18 years ago

I've still got currants on the bush too. My sons eat them, the birds are more interested in the raspberries and unripe grapes.

I've added a mulberry because my wife and son have been eating them from a tree planted in a local church when we go on our walks.

~Chills

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting